29 January 2011

The Great Blue Whale

 Call me Miles.  Well my fellow island-lovers, have ye seen the great blue whale?  As I was skiing home today, I saw the strangest sight.  At first I heard a woosh of air... then a spout jutting 50 feet into the air... then I caught a quick glimpse of a large tail... and then the entirety of a beautiful blue ice whale surfaced,  peacefully cruising amidst the great white winter sea, staring at me all the while with its goofy smile.  In the words of a famous novel already alluded to, "There she blows!--there she blows! A hump like a snow-hill!"  Well, lump like a blue-hill in snow, that is.  Alas, I didn't have time to film video of this rare phenomenon, but if you flip through the 20 or so photos below at a civil clip, you'll have some idea of what we beheld on Miles Island today.  Wonderful mystical events such as these: true blessings to help us through the long island winter.
UPDATE: now with some music to accompany the flip book:



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment