04 June 2013

Age and beauty

 The conversation went something like this (and I'm paraphrasing of course since I don't speak Kinyarwanda):

Me:  May I please take your picture?
Her:  Me?  Are you sure?  Why not her?  Why do you want to take my picture?
Me: Because I like your hat, your outfit.  And I think you're beautiful.
Her: What?!  How can a woman my age be beautiful?  I'm old.  Beauty is youth.
Me:  I disagree... I think you get more beautiful as you get older.
Her:  [laughing] Ok, fine.
Me:  Murakoze!  *snap snap snap snap snap snap*

By the way, I love when someone breaks from their sober pose into a genuine smile.  Pure delight.  A few more like these on the way...
                                                                                                                                    (Gicumbi, Rwanda)

No comments:

Post a Comment