01 April 2013

Aurora Chasing

I'm occasionally known to be a chaser of sunsets.  One cold clear evening a few months ago I became a chaser of aurora borealis.  These shots are the result of hours driving around like a maniac in the middle of the night with the windows down looking for the darkest sky and clearest view of the north.  Frozen fingers, frosted camera lens, sleep-deprived... Thankfully, I was blessed with sky music.  

One of the first times I remember seeing the northern lights was on a drive back from the coast with my family, when we decided to take an unusual route home via the rural and streetlight-less Aurora road.  It still strikes me that it had to have been more than serendipity at work that evening.  Spring is around the corner (so some say -- it's been lightly snowing here for the last couple of weeks!), but it's never too late to look to the north.  I've seen aurora in mid-summer several times.  Check out here and here for the latest forecasts and maps of solar activity, and happy aurora chaser.  






No comments:

Post a Comment