14 April 2011

Music Thursday: The Civil Wars

 
 Photo by Jon Willis
The Civil Wars.  This band is quite new to me, although the topic of the U.S. Civil War used to be one of my favorite pastimes--not that I was into violence, though.  I played with confederate and union lead soldiers, made cannons out of clay, wrote historical fiction stories set in 1864, visited Fort Sumter, carried my wooden rubberband gun (musket) around with me most places, etc.  That was when I was about 24. 

But I digress.  The Civil Wars have certainly made a name for themselves in a relatively short amount of time, and I think you'll Joy Williams' and John Paul White's soulful harmonies.  And thankfully they're a pretty peaceful bunch.  They're coming to Madison this Friday the 15th for a free show at the Rath.  See you there!  By the way, download a free live set that they played at Eddie's Attic on their website, visit NPR for their live set on Mountain Stage or World Cafe, and buy their CD below:


[UPDATE April 2011: I just saw The Civil Wars live and it was a wonderful, charming show.  Their harmonies were so in sync, and even their vibratos perfectly matched.  Their voices were made for each other.  Joy couldn't stop smiling--nice to see musicians having fun!]

Photo by AM




No comments:

Post a Comment